ESL World cup fever (game 1)
ESL World cup fever starts here:
1. How much do you know about your countries team?
Students are given quiz questions to try and answer. You could turn the class room into a ‘question of sport’ style quiz show. Divide the class into groups and ask one student from each group to stand. The student who gives the correct answer first gets points for their teams. If they don’t know the answer then pass to the next question.
At the end of the quiz the students watch the video clip to see what the correct answers are.
FIRST HALF – The quiz questions:
I live in Japan so I have created questions based on the Japanese football team. Just adapt these questions to the country you are focusing on.
1. How many of the last 5 Asian cups has Japan won? 3
2. When was the J League launched? 1993
3. When did Japan make their first World cup appearance? 1998
4. How many times have they appeared in the World cup? 4 times
5. What group are they in ? Group E
6. What other teams are in Group E? Netherlands, Denmark & Cameroon
7. What is the nickname of the team? ‘Samurai Blue’
8. Who is Japans head coach? Takeshi Okada
9. Who is the captain of the team? Yuji Nakazawa
10. What team does he play for? Yokohama Marinos
11. Who is the most capped player for Japan? Masami Ihara
12. How many appearances has he made? 123
13. Who is Japans all time leading goal scorer? Kunishige Kamamoto
14. How many goals did he score? 75
15. What is Japans current fifa ranking? 46
16. When did Japan and South Korea host the World cup? 2002
17. What is Takeshi Okada’s main target in this world cup?
‘To reach the semi finals.’
18. Who will they play their first game against? Cameroon
19. When will they play their first game? June 14th
Second Half – The video clip:
When the students have been given enough time to answer the questions they check their answers by watching the following clip:
For a similar introduction clip to the other teams in the world cup then click here.
For more information on the team and material for a possible reading exercise then check out the BBC team guide here.
Extra time – project ideas:
Project idea : Divide the students into groups and ask each group to choose a different teams country to research. Each group has to make a poster about the country.
Project idea 2 : Students make a wall chart of the World cup schedule and make sure that a different student updates the chart with the scores each day .
Penalty shoot out : A treat to leave you with until the next game
Daft Punk & Star Wars – The party starts here: